RIVA/JOG 50 VERT MINARELLI PROJECT

Post questions about anything from latest and greatest automatics, to the tried and true vintage scooters!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog

Smokey McStroker

RIVA/JOG 50 VERT MINARELLI PROJECT

Postby Smokey McStroker » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:41 pm

Hey Erryone,
So I picked up this 198* Riva 50 with no title. I should say it was almost forcefully "given" to me for helping a friend move a couch.
Body/plastics are rough, no battery, doesn't start.
I think this could be a fun project for me and my 12 yr old daughter to work on.
Maybe she could ride it to school by the time she's 16?
[img]
20171225_113142.jpg
[/img]
Anywho... i used to work @ scooterworks and would trip over vert minarelli parts all the time that no one would buy. literally these parts would just sit on the shelf for years! I had no personal use for them and could barely find shops that a need for them. Now that I have this yammy, I can't find anything really. Had this picture in my mind of replacing the plastics with something from a later model and replacing the mechanicals that needed replacing with mild performance parts suitable for daily use.
As I search the interwebs, I realize that either everyone lumps this model in with the, more prevalent, later horizontal Minarelli yammys or don't acknowledge it exists at all.
It could be that I'm looking in the wrong places or searching the wrong way.
I know that it's not the best model to build but my daughter and I would really appreciate any help.
What are the best places to look for good quality parts? Cross-model compatibility I can take advantage of? (Zuma II) Advice on 2-ring bbk and pipes for touring? Any mods we can perform to make it better?
Thank you!
Attachments
20171225_113142.jpg
20171225_113142.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 790 times

dirtyd

Re: RIVA/JOG 50 VERT MINARELLI PROJECT

Postby dirtyd » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:45 pm

Do a look for Honda Dio parts. I think that's the same engine.

These guys have some stuff if it is the same.
http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/Honda ... aelim.html

Good luck!
'05 MZ Moskito
'06 SYM Jet Euro X 72cc
'09 Kymco Agility 50
'?? POS chinese gy6 junk
Tacos

dan v

Postby dan v » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:30 pm

Can you post some pics of the engine? Doesn't look like the mina engine from what I can see.
How many scoots is too many?

dan v

Postby dan v » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:01 am

Ok, did a little interwebs research on that model so that is an early minarelli vertical engine. Possible to find some hotrod parts that would fit. Be careful, as must assure that parts are for the vertical engine. I would make assumption that parts from a similar era Zuma would fit.

Looks like some stock parts are available. Guess it depends on what it needs to getting it running.

Sounds like an interesting project for you and your daughter. I would discourage ideas of hotrodding that model though as you could easily overpower the brakes and suspension. If your daughter takes to scooting after you get this one running you could look for another model after she outgrows this one :D
How many scoots is too many?

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:38 pm

Hey guys, and welcome to the forum Smokey!

I'm trying to pop in around here more often. :) Sorry for my absense. If I catch more time to write, I will make another post on this thread trying to help answer a few of the other things mentioned by our OP.

That jog is indeed a vertical Minarelli. A lot of those parts are getting tougher to find in the States, but Maxiscoot in France can hook you up pretty good on speed bits. In fact, I think MXS has their own design/brand of vertical cylinder kit with exhaust that is pretty stout. I don't know of a better supplier on Planet Earth for vertical Mina parts. Lots of other places have parts, but not like Maxiscoot.

In the back of my mind, I'm trying to remember if the vertical engine in that scooter has some slight differences from the newer ones found in the pre-bug Zuma and BWs... If I have an eureka moment I'll post up a reply.

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

Return to “Scooter Workshop”